I wanted to share a little bit of what my "normal" homeschool day looks like. So here goes (along with some pictures from our home)...
8:30-- Reading Time: Half a chapter in John, memory work (we're memorizing John 3:16-21 right now), and a selection from Story of the World that goes with our history sentence from CC (or a few pages from a Christian biography if we've done all the history reading). I read about 2-3 pages from Story of the World each day. This usually takes 15-20 minutes depending on how difficult the twins are being.
9:00-- Math: J and E start on their math work, which they can do independently for the most part. I do "Bible Study" time with K and T--we read a chapter in Big Picture Storybook Bible or Jesus Storybook Bible and then sing a few kid's songs. Then I help only J with Math for 10 minutes. This involves making sure he is holding his pencil correctly, helping him form his numbers correctly, and helping him with any of the math work he didn't know how to do. He finishes up his math while I turn my focus to E. I push her along, and help with whatever she needs. I try to make sure we're all done with Math by 9:30. (If they haven't completed their assigned work, they save it for nap time.)
9:30--Chore/Break Time: When J or E are done with math, they do a few chores for about 10 minutes; take out garbage, vacuum floor, wipe down sinks, find hidden toys under the couch, or just clean their rooms. Then they normally have about a 10-20 minute break just for fun. I use this time to get a load of laundry going and get dishes in dishwasher.
10:00--Memory Work: (We do Classical Conversations and there are certain facts we learn each week.) I usually start prepping dinner (if needed) while we do the memory work. This is normally an active time of the day as we do the fun activities our CC Tutor has taught us for the week. If we didn't learn an active way to do the memory work for the week, the kids do jumping jacks or punches or whatever as we chant the material.
10:30--Reading/Phonics/Spelling: I give E some independent work (usually her copy work and her spelling words) and spend some time reading with J. We either read his book from our curriculum work or the recommended poem or we work on his reading flash cards. I try to spend a full 10 minutes doing this with him as he REALLY thrives with one-on-one attention. Then we switch and J does copy work or his Phonics book while E reads to me or I read to her--depending on what is assigned for the day. Lastly, I send E back to do more independent work while I read with the twins for a bit.
11:00--I sit at the table and help whoever needs to finish up. Then I release them to do a chore then play until lunch if they have time.
After Lunch-- We try to get some outdoor time if possible until Nap Time. Then we read at least one book (normally from this list) before we send the twins to nap. J then plays quietly while I help E finish up her work--usually it takes us about 30 more minutes to finish up her stuff. Then J and E play quietly until the twins wake up while I hide in my room for a bit and do some other chores.
How do you structure your homeschool day?
No comments:
Post a Comment