(June 28, 2012)
We love being so close to Louisville so that we can still take advantage of some great things that the city has to offer—like splash pads!!! This particular splash pad is really awesome and beside it is a really awesome play ground too… And it happens to be the one closest to us! Joel really wasn’t sure what to think of it at first, but it didn’t take long for him to be soaking wet and loving it!
As I’m writing this, I’m remembering things that the pictures don’t tell you about this day at the splash pad. My son struggles in environments that aren’t his normal environment. I remember this particular day being very tired/exhausted/discouraged from Joel’s inability to be 3 feet away from me. The pictures paint a pretty picture—and our life is just not always pretty. Adoption issues, boy issues, personality issues, or just plain sinfulness on my part makes for some difficult days! We had made several trips to the bathroom on this day for “adjustments” and I could hardly keep up with E because J was demanding so much. Thankful for church friends who helped with keeping an eye on number 1 when number 2 was needing attention. This day was a reminder that even though Joel had been home for 7 months, we weren’t totally out of the adjustment phase like I thought. AND we had just left the little guy with our family for a week! He was struggling with trusting me to be out of his reach! Lessons learned, hurdles overcome, great pictures as a result. Onward and upward, my friends!
hey there friend-
ReplyDeletejust wanted to share that there are almost always stories behind my pictures as well. we don't take pictures of the struggles, the challenges, the moments we want to pull our hair out. taking four kiddos (even now that they're older, this was just multiplied when they were all so little) is so often overwhelming. I have a couple that struggle when out of their normal environment, and they've all taken turns at having that inability to be 3 ft away from me. I know that you have a whole set of challenges that I know nothing about - and I'm not trying to belittle that in any way! Just wanted to encourage you that behind every parents' smiling pictures are some type of struggle. You are an AMAZING mama and you are doing a GREAT job raising your two precious babies. Thanks for sharing your (honest) journey!
Thanks Sarah! I love the stories that show me that sometimes my relationship with Joel has less to do with being adopted and more to do with being a regular mom and kid! :)
Delete