Sadly, we have an abortion clinic here in Louisville. There are a group of people from a church in town that go down there every Saturday morning to pray, hold signs, and do what they call "sidewalk counseling." Sidewalk counseling is what happens as pro-lifers on the sidewalk talk to women during the time it takes to go between the mom's car as she gets out and the door of the clinic. There is also a group of people called escorts who go down there every Saturday morning and try to prevent the truth that the sidewalk counselors are sharing from reaching the ears and hearts of the moms coming to the clinic. Our church is wanting to be a part of the sidewalk counseling, so my beautiful daughter and I, along with others from our church, went down to observe the sidewalk counseling and to pray near the clinic last Saturday morning.
Eliah and I chose a spot just off the sidewalk with some others from our church. We held signs that had scripture on them and some pictures of some precious babies that had been adopted. Our goal was not to engage with the people walking by, but to pray quietly among ourselves and be a presence there. (There were others who were actually talking to the moms and escorts, but I felt that, especially with Eliah, it was best for us to be on the sidelines.)
We saw several women go into the clinic that morning (about 19). Some were laughing and joking as they walked in, others were more somber. In hearing other's conversations and testimonies, it is clear that almost all of these women believe that it is a baby they are carrying. They are deciding that it is better to not let the baby live rather than give up one thing or another to let the baby live. One mom that I talked to felt that she had no choice... Her baby was probably going to have medical problems because of some medication and in her mind, the only choice was an abortion.
Of course, my heart breaks for the lives of these precious babies. But what was surprising to me was how my heart was aching for these women. Their faces are seared into my mind. I wonder what lies they have been told and are believing that would lead them to make these choices. I want them to let their babies live, but I also want them to find Jesus. How can we expect lost people to make decisions based on anything except what the world says? These ladies need to experience the truth of Christ... Then Christ would change their hearts and decisions.
As I drove away from the clinic that morning, I could do nothing but cry. Nineteen lives were lost that morning. And I could do nothing.
The clinic here is open 5 days a week. Five days a week, moms are going there and making bad choices. And what can we do? PRAY! Pray that the clinic here will be closed. Pray that the abortion doctor will be sick, or have a flat tire, or have a change of heart! Pray that the moms considering abortion will have someone in their life tell them truth even before they run into our sidewalk counselors. Pray that cute babies they see through the week will soften their heart. Pray that the escorts will see that their "compassion" for these women is misled. Pray that the counselors will have the right words to say. Pray that Jesus changes people!
I am sure that my words cannot describe this experience. One week later, I am still reeling from this. It has left me with a renewed desire to share the gospel with those around me.
Thanks for sharing, Jenn! It's something we all need to be reminded of, whether it's pleasant or not!
ReplyDelete